07 December 2006

Blogging for viewers

Trying to reason the existence of blogs, will yield many justifications. It seems like every person has their own unique reason for owning and maintaining a blog, and hence there exist almost as many reasons as there are number of people. What is interesting is that some of these reasons openly spell - 'I want more people to see my blog!'. Using any ploy, technique or resource available to them, to rope in as many people to view their blog and comment (to prove the viewership) is, though not common, but existent in the blogging community.

A few gooney birds

There are quite a few people out there who employ such methods, and are actually known for it. I won't go calling names here, but if you look around, you'll find them. Unfortunately for the preachers of content, these people actually do succeed in getting the viewers simply based off the hype and thrill of an argument the post beckons. "Fools rush in" as the phrase goes. Only difference, the people aren't fools. Some don't know the reality, and decide to do something about it. Some have a look just for the heck of it, and others, I really don't know what they are thinking....

But worse than the ones visiting, are the ones posting such rubbish. It's nothing but a public cry for attention. They are the ones who clog search engine results because people link to these pages while documenting their own arguments opposing the original. I'm not saying that search results are drastically affected by these. Let's face it, one in a hundred results will be a controversial rant post if you're having a bad day. But still, the number will rise exponentially if people continue to start up rant blogs and useless arguments. It's something like the news channel holding a poll, and asking for your vote via an SMS (for which you're charged premium rates). No one gains anything, the channel gives up a half an hour slot (very happily I must add) to hold a small discussion based on the result, and people are happy to see their names scroll by faster than you can blink. The news channel makes tons of money, and people are none the wiser. The same principle applies to these blogs. They get their SEO, their Adsense revenue, and the exposure. Bad publicity is actually good publicity. What more could a blogger ask for?

Clean up your act!

Just a simple request! Let's focus on proper, tangible and useful content. Let's not hoodwink viewers and be selfish enough to gain recognition for practically nothing. By doing that, you'll help make the blogosphere truly useful and usable by everyone for every facet of life. I was going through blogs which deal and help with education. Articles by students, journalists, college faculty, and what not ... they were all there! My own college batch has now made a blog of it's own, where plan to form our own proper community and get to know the batch better, while keeping it interesting with student submitted articles and content. And mine isn't the only one (as I found out). College departments keep blogs to update information and news about what's going on with the department and the members. A perfect solution to cheaply keep interested people updated.

There are numerous ways of making your blog interesting, all you need to be is a little creative! :) Even personal blogs get lot of viewership. Review blogs, preview blogs, journalism and creative writing. Topics just come if you look for them! How do you use your blog? :)


2 comments

Anonymous said...

Ooo! I'm the FIRST to comment!
Well, I currently run two blogs, a personal blog and a music review blog. I started the Music blog, http://lovethemusic.wordpress.com because I wanted to blog about something I love, and I wanted people to read it and participate, because--really, who doesn't lovethemusic?
My personal blog has no readers really, and thats okay with me, because I blog for me. If people decided to read it, that would be okay, but how interesting is my life to someone else? Who knows?
In the past I have started blog projects and never finished them, because I realized there was no audience for them. There needs to be an audience, really--otherwise why would you publish publicly?
Good post, Adi.

Aditya said...

Personal blogs generally don't have many readers. I have one too, and I've noticed this pattern. Also, if the topic of the blog is too specific, that tends to affect the audience as well.

The safest bet would be to maintain a blog which has a wide scope of topics and content, but ofcourse, if you can pull of a narrowed down blog, you'll get readers there as well! Techcrunch is the perfect example! :)

You just have to be enterprising enough! :P